Monday, April 28, 2008

Anzac Day and Sydney

Hello~
Sorry for the late delay for a post, but not too much goes on between trips other than class and a little drinking during the week. In case you are curious, Aussies tend to drink a lot in the beginning of semester, but tail off until mostly Thursday night (big Unibar night- the on-campus bar), and Saturday night. Some of the other nights the international students drink, though. There are as many international students living in the dorms as Australians. Americans from Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Boston mostly, but also students from Canada and parts of Asia.

Everyone drinks on some days, like this last friday- Anzac day. Anzac day is Australia's day for Veterans, specifically referencing a particular battle against Turkey in which many Australians died in battle. On that day, a game the soldiers played is made legal for that day only. A game called Two-up, where three coins are placed on a piece of wood resembling a paintstick. Everyone bets whether more heads or more tails come up after the toss. People bet anywhere from $5 to $100 with anyone willing to take the bet. To make a bet, you shout your bet ('5 bucks on heads!) and either patting the cash on your head for heads or waving the money behind your butt for tails. I made about $80.

The last trip I went on was down to Sydney, though. An Aussie friend I made decided to withdraw from school to manage his friends band- a good choice, I think. He came up and stayed in an extra room in my flat for a week, then drove two other Americans and I down to stay at his house for a few days. It was about a half hour from Sydney, so we took the train in when we went in. It was really cool, but I think 3-4 days seemed like enough. The Botanical gardens were cool (for a garden at least), and I heard the Chinese gardens were cool too but I didn't make it there. The opera house and pier are fun to walk through as well, and the bridge is awesome. I went over the bridge at night, and I think it might have been better that way. The coolest thing in my opinion was Center Point, a space-needle like tower that you go up and see an excellent view of the whole city. The nightlife was crazy. Seriously. Going to Kings Cross to drink was an experience in itself. I also saw a Rugby League Match live, the Sydney Roosters vs. the Newcastle Knights. Its big here- their football. But rubgy is like cricket- just something you have to learn when you get here. To leave, I took a train back to Lismore, which created some trouble. There was not one running when advertised so we were stuck an extra night, forcing me to miss some classes. Either way, a great trip overall.
Bringing me to my final point! I would have pictures, but in an unfortunate turn my camera broke on the trip to Sydney. So, no pics yet, I have to go and get them off of other peoples' cameras.
Shea

No comments: